Standard 6

Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

Professional Standard Number 6

Standard 6 of the Standards for B.C. Educators states that “Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.” My understanding of the sentiment behind this standard brings to mind a set of line from Alexander Pope’s A Little Learning, which read “A little learning is a dangerous thing: Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again.” Having as close to a true fluency in the subjects we teach as possible is one of the driving factors behind fostering that truly unique classroom environment that students remember. Looking back at my education in public school, I can recall a few educators who fit this profile, and it truly was in their classes regardless of subject that I found I enjoyed myself the most and retained the most knowledge.

The most recent example of an educator who lives this quality for me is Glen Thielmann. This is not to elevate him above other exemplary instructors we have in this program, however due to our areas of interest largely overlapping I believe he resonates as the most obvious example personally. I had noted this about him as I became familiar with him in previous classes, but the example that is registering most clearly to me at the moment was during our in person humanities class together. During this time he brought so many activities that were true to his own profession and was able to showcase them in such an organic way that despite already being interested in myself, I couldn’t help but believe that even others disinterested in the content must be captivated by the presentation at the very least. The level of energy that radiates from Glen’s learning space was intense, but not overwhelming as in situations where energy simply equates to the level of volume; His decisions, words, and activities were calculated, well thought out, and literally packed to the brim with information.

One of the things I admire most about individuals like Glen is how much additional learning can be achieved through conversation during class. Not only is the lesson being delivered already fully articulated, but there is also always room for additional tangential chatter that often leads to some really interesting topics. Whether it be slipping into developing course material involving Dungeons&Dragons, details from Lord of the Rings, or realising that Glen quite literally knows the Latin scientific name for likely every visible plant in Northern B.C., there is never a shortage of interesting knowledge to be gleaned from conversation. This type of reflexive practice appeals so much to me as a student and is something that I truly want to bring into my own practice as a professional. A big part of that involves taking ownership of the knowledge that I do possess, and maintaining the integrity of my everlasting drive to learn. 

With an ample amount of memory and experience to draw from in consideration of my current and previous educators, I believe that by the end of this program I will have within me every tool that I will need in order to develop that presence within myself as an educator. I am aware of my passions and interests, and I am grateful for that clarity; For me I need to remember that part of the process involves refraining from being too hard on ones-self. Harkening to our First Peoples Principles of Learning number 7, “Learning involves patience and time,” I need to allow myself that time to develop in my own journey. Scaffold, assess, integrate, and structure; I will have the tools, and with them I will learn to build.