Learning Progressions

As part of a synchronous assignment during class time, we participated in an activity that involved selecting a specific skill or learning objective and contextualising it within a specific age range/developmental period. Working backwards and forwards from a starting point, we were to discuss the various skills, abilities, and associated learning which would have needed to achieved prior to becoming proficient in the selected topic, as well as what opportunities for future growth it creates. My group chose playing the musical recorder as a starting point, with a focus on grades 3 through 8.

What really resonated with me about this activity, is that learning, and therefore lesson planning does not happen in a vacuum. There needs to be ample and appropriate consideration given to the learning that the individual has previously done, and what the lesson or activity they are participating in does to enrich future learning. This of course is easier said than done, given that the further one hypothesises potentials and consequences away from the initial learning activity the more obscure and variable the implications become. The idea, at least for me though, is that by acknowledging the previous experiences of students and learners, we enrich the quality of present learning. When we enrich present learning, we provide more avenues of potential for the individuals learning from us.

The concept of enriching the learning experience via the consideration of past and future experiences is shockingly new to me. It has certainly had an onion effect, whereby I am still continuing to unpack layers of implications. On a community level, it is paramount that as professionals we establish positive channels of communication between other professionals, as well as students. It is clear in this regard that emphasis needs to be placed not only on the individual or the community; one or the other. Rather, we need to place equal emphasis on both, so that we maintain open and positive communications regarding the past, but also take into consideration individual drives and desires which inspire learners on an individual level.

In the end, this activity imparted on me a new understanding of the dire importance in considering multiple angles and factors when designing lesson plans, pursuing learning outcomes, and preparing students for future learning. Taken alone, the more I consider it the more it seems to be an impossible task, and that is why I feel that collegiality and community are such important factors of teaching. I look forward to continuing to unpack the layers of thinking and diving into the implications and effects it will have on my praxis.

Thank you.