Education 336

During Block 4 of the program, we were instructed in a course titled “Inclusive Education.” I believe that as a cohort we capitalised as much as possible within the scope of reality on the opportunity to engage with information cited in the course text, as well as secondary articles. Our group shares a strong dynamic and are quite tightly knit together, and I think this allowed us to generate a good amount of conversation during our asynchronous class times. 

We engaged with lesson planning with the focus on identifying and predicting possible inclusions that we may see or be part of creating within the classroom space, worked to create group presentations based on case studies which we were assigned, and collaborated as a group to compile and generate useful notes from lectures. I found the time spent as a group generating conversation to be extremely useful in rounding my understanding of some of the neuro-divergent conditions I was formerly less aware of. There were several of us in class with direct personal experience living with or knowing someone with a wide array of mental and physical health issues, and due to the friendship and connectedness we had developed as a group many of us were able to be open about our knowledge.

Being able to generate safe spaces to share our personal experiences and corroborate evidence with data presented in our readings resulted in at least two things (for myself at least) which in reflection provided very useful experiences. First, and foremost when considering the intended context of the class, the group dialogue generated a lot of real learning which after percolating has resulted in a comfortable feeling of understanding, and many more questions I am excited to ask. Second, it provided us as a cohort with experiences that we are likely to face eventually as professionals, the opportunity to question the feeling of being challenged and to recognise when to speak up.

Coming away from the course, I maintain a fierce passion for tailoring my education towards helping students and staff within my professional space within a counselling capacity. The more I begin to think about it, the more I start to feel a connection with seeking a role within Union work as well. A protective instinct for youth who are suffering in silence is an old quality of mine, however as I make my way through this program with this family I am also rapidly developing a feeling of comradery that is sparking curiosity to the ways I can also work to help my co-workers whom may be in the same position.